I think cell phone transmissions are more difficult to filter through, simply because of the whole voice->text issue. But I've heard that they have the voice prints of many terrorists, etc. They also take particular interest in phone calls made to/from places of interest, like Pakistan/Afghanistan, etc. But as far as emails go, thats a much easier problem. Dan Brown, the author of "The DaVinci Code" mentions in the book "Digital Fortress" that one of his students at Exeter Academy in New Hampshire was busted by the FBI for sending an email to another student about how easy it would be to kill Clinton. Not actually threatening mind you.

rg

graywolf wrote:
Ever hear of a needle in a haystack, Bob?

They may, and it is certainly possible, be set up to intercept and copy every cel-phone transmission made. But the simply do not have the people to browse through all that. If they have some reason to monitor a particular number it is no problem, but they can not do that for all the billions of cel-phone calls made everyday. Also if you are using a cel-phone for nefarious reasons it is kind of simple to have a bunch of SIM cards to keep changing your phone number which makes it even more difficult for the authorities to monitor your calls.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"

Bob W wrote:

They don't need people to check on camera phones. GCHQ and the NSA have
their little tricks for checking everything that flies through the ether.

--
Cheers,
Bob