From: "Mike Johnston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 12:14 AM
Subject: Ramblin' Man Keeps Ramblin' On

Annsan teased:

> I thought it might be nice to discuss flower photography, Mike <g>

Or cats. Don't forget cats. The world needs more cat pictures. Lord knows we
haven't documented the confounded creatures nearly enough already. There's
work yet to be done. Apart from the fact that some are slightly bigger and
some are slightly smaller, and they come in about six different colors, they
all look the same, and they all act exactly the same, and none of them are
even remotely any more interesting than any of the rest. Yet, half the
population thinks that all any insipid snap has to show is a cat and voilá,
it's Art. "Like this one? Isn't that a nice cat? Isn't that a beautiful
cat?" It's a cat. It looks like a cat. All cats look like cats. I've never
seen a cat that didn't look just like a cat. I'll bet I've seen two hundred
thousand cat pictures in my life. The most disturbing thing about that to me
is that five or six of them were actually kinda good. I'd almost rather look
at pictures of rocks, which is another of those enticing subjects people
can't seem to resist. Have we done a cat PUG yet? I'll give a free
subscription to my newsletter to the person who posts the best cat picture.
Yes, show me flower pictures, cat pictures, sunsets--I can take it all day
long. I've been in this business a while, you know.

Conversely, I have rather a weakness for pictures of kids, waterfowl, and
trees. So I guess nobody's perfect.

--Mike

P.S. I'm not a cat-hater. A cat-picture-hater, well, the jury's still out on
that, but I'm just talking about the pictures.

P.P.S. Maybe we could do another poll. Which totally clichéd subject really
rubs you the wrong way? Which one do you have a weakness for, despite your
better judgment?