Shel Belinkoff wrote:

Just a quick comment.  While looking at the original PEF file for the Pile
of Leaves pic that was recently posted, I noticed that it was shot @ 1600
ISO.  I'm quite surprised (and pleased) at how little noise there is, and
noise reduction was turned off in the camera.  Maybe I'm too ignorant to
know what to expect, but the pic and the original PEF sure look better than
I'd imagined an 1600 ISO pic would look.  Maybe it's the light?

ISO1600 is one of the strong points of the *ist-DS. While 1600 is a little grainy, most people agree it's less so than film of similar sensitivity. I do notice more "noise" when such shots are mostly low-key, such as night shots of city-scapes. mid-key shots at 1600 are pretty good actually. ISO-3200 is a little more annoying; you really have to be careful not to lean too far to the low-key side or things really do get noisy, imho.