Paul Stenquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have to come down on the side of overall improved quality. Magazine
>editors who don't pay a lot and are used to uneven contributions tell
>me that the work is noticeably better than it was five years ago. I see
>it in the web galleries as well.

Learning a process like photography involves a cycle: Shoot the picture,
turn it into something viewable (print or image on a monitor), evaluate
what you've done and how you might improve it and then repeat the whole
thing. Digital has shortened the entire cycle and speeded it up,
allowing anyone who wants to learn to fit more cycles into any given
time period. There's no guarantee that any given person *will* take
advantage of this shorter cycle, but those who have a desire to learn
and improve, and I dare say that includes most people on this list, are
just the type who will do so. I think it's showing in the images we're
seeing.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing