I do not think it is better. What we think is good changes with time. Many old photos look stilted and simple, but that is because we have different tastses today than people had back then. The interesting thing is the best photos from yesteryear are timeless. That will apply to today's images in the future as well.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"

Paul Stenquist wrote:

I have to come down on the side of overall improved quality. Magazine editors who don't pay a lot and are used to uneven contributions tell me that the work is noticeably better than it was five years ago. I see it in the web galleries as well.