I think the camera should work without a card. Well, at least allow you to change settings and control it from the computer with the remote assistant software. Your *ist-D may have a problem. For example, I've never been able to get the OK button on my *ist-D to fire the flash, (I don't know, maybe that function only works with certain flash models, but I haven't found/noticed any, documentation on that), I assume that it should work with any flash. On the other hand that seems to be the only function that doesn't work, and it's not a big deal to me, so I haven't done anything about it. Your *ist-D should at least let you change settings without a card, mine does. If you want to fire the shutter tethered without a card you'll have to set "shutter release without CF" to Yes.

Don Williams wrote:

I don't *want* to use the camera without a card by the way. After spending so much on the damned thing a card is not going to make much difference. I simply don't have a card. Its on the way from NJ. I thought I'd start using the camera in the meantime -- and found I couldn't -- that's all. Its not a big deal simply an observation. The camera will work, but not without a lens. This can't be changed.

Don W

skye wrote:

my understanding is that Don was spending much of the time with his
camera hooked up to his computer. In those cases where the photo is
being transferred directly between the PC and camera, you wouldn't, or
shouldn't, need to have a card. Certainly, using a card is one way to
get around that, but the interesting thing is that the camera won't
work without one. And I would like to stress that this is merely
interesting for me, not a huge problem.