On 30 Oct 2005 at 3:39, keith_w wrote:

> I can't speak to the presence of other contaminants like tannins and
> other water colorants, but I'd suppose any plant acid like that could
> not be particularly good for a human (or fish, or animal) to drink in
> any quantity, either.
>
> All of which goes to say that one needs a number of tests to determine
> potability, not just visual clarity.

There are various fish, amphibians and insects that survive best in water
containing tannins and there are many creatures who require mud, man made
pollutants are another thing but I don't see it specified anywhere by I suspect
potable only really refers to human consumption AFAIK, we are a weak lot.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998