No, you're incorrect. My retoucher friend knows exactly what she's talking about. She does fantastic work and is in great demand among pro shooters at about $200 an hour. Sometimes she will go back and alter the color image to change the conversion , but she's more likely to tinker with it after the fact. She frequently uses curves and masks after the fact if more control is needed. But she points out that the PhotoShop grayscale conversion provides an accurate translation of a given color scene. It's quite close to what the values would have been if shot without filtration. She did the conversion and some after the fact tuneup on my shot of the shoe shine man. http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3451662