DNG files use some sort of loss less compression. No real data should be lost.
Shel Belinkoff wrote:

When converting PEF files to DNG, the converted file is roughly 50% of the
original.  That suggests that some, perhaps a lot, of information in the
original file is discarded.  What's lost?

When working with DNG and PEF files, and converting them to PSD or TIFF
files after going through the RAW converter, the file sizes (for DNG and
PEF "originals") are about the same size, and I see no difference in the
results obtained from either format.  How is it that the DNG, which is
about 1/2 the size of a PEF, and the PEF, yield similar sized files when
converted?

All this suggests that the PEF, and I suppose other RAW format files,
contain a lot of unnecessary information.  Given that the results from a
PEF and a DNG file are identical, is there really any reason to save the
PEF file?

Shel "You meet the nicest people with a Pentax"

--
When you're worried or in doubt, Run in circles, (scream and shout).