Joseph Tainter wrote:
I placed my bid and just won an F* 600 F4:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=7556939330

I never thought I'd own one. Wow. But my heart really is doing a pitter-patter at spending so much. Right now, fortuitously, I have the money, but still feel nervous spending so much.

Okay, now I need recommendations for a tripod and head for Big Bertha. Bill, what did you wind up getting? Please recommend some affordable ones as well as the best ones. Right now I am feeling in economizing mode. I think the lens is about 15 pounds.

Thanks,

Joe

Congratulations on an excellent purchase and an incredible price.

I have been mostly lurking and monitoring posts for the last couple of years but wanted to reply to this post.

I have the FA* 600 F4, same weight but different finish. I also have the F* 300 F4.5 and think the F* lenses have a more durable finish then the FA* lenses.

I got the Wimberly head as soon as I got the 600. Unfortunately you can not go to your local camera store and compare different models of this type of head, but information that I could find on the web indicates that the Wimberly is the best gimball type head to get. I used the Wimberly on a Manfrotto 075 tripod that I already owned for about 2 years before getting a Gitzo 1548 (in late 2003). The stability difference between the Manfrotto 075 (which is a fairly heavy tripod) and the Gitzo 1548 is incredible. Don't compromise on the head/tripod combination, get the best you can.

--
David S.
Nature and wildlife photography http://www.sheppardphotos.com