The istD doesn't have all those FFM's, nor do some of the Canon models.
However, the istDS does, as did my little Sony, but for the most part
(except when using them a couple of times to see what they do) they are
ignored.  They layout of the mode dial is such that the picture modes are
on one side of the dial and the standard controls (Av Tv, Manual) are on
the other side of the dial, their twain never meeting or overlapping.  So,
some models it seems are more made for photographers, and others can easily
be used by photographers.

If I had my druthers, a camera without those modes and sans some of the
features would be preferred, but the istDS allows complete control over how
the camera is used, and while the interface isn't perfect (for me) it's
acceptable while learning the digi workflow and techniques.  My plan is
that once the workflow and familiarity with the process becomes second
nature, it'll be time to upgrade the camera - and by that time digital
cameras may have improved as well.

Shel
"You meet the nicest people with a Pentax"