On 3 Nov 2005 at 22:24, Rob Smith wrote:

> I believe this is because NiMh batteries have low internal resistance. Thus
> they
> are able to provide high (or at least sufficient)  current to meet the cameras
> operational needs until they have discharged sufficiently to reach the voltage
> threshold at which the camera ceases to function.  This characteristic means
> that camera operation is normally reliable until cutoff threshold is reached,
> in
> fact you might criticise the D for having rather too high a cutoff threshold
> and
> hence 'wasting' battery capacity.

True, and according to the spec sheets for my Sanyo 2500mAh AA Ni-MH batteries
it pays to ensure that they go through full charge/discharge cycles. Contrary
to marketing blurb Ni-MH batteries don't provide an optimum discharge curve or
internal resistance unless they are properly exercised :-)

The following document is a very informative and interesting read:
http://www.sanyo.com/batteries/pdfs/twicellT_E.pdf

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998