Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

The word "lesser" implies a disparagement.

The DS/DS2 bodies offers the same image quality and viewfinder quality as the D. They have fewer features. But to a person looking at the results, and who doesn't need/want/care about the D's additional features, they have advantages. No one can tell the difference upon seeing a print.

In the olden days, the same was true of a Nikon FM vs a Nikon F3. And people often disparaged the FM as being a lesser camera too. It was stupid then... Not much has changed.

Godfrey, perhaps "lesser" wasn't meant to imply disparagment. I wonder if "lower-spec'd" could be used instead, or whether perhaps disparagement would again be inferred? I'm trying unsuccessfully to come up with a term that can cover "different, with fewer big-shot features but not inferior" ...

ERN