The advantage that the USSR used to have (and that China does now) is that the
government didn't have to answer to the people.  They could do whatever they
wanted.

China is doing particularly well because their ridiculously cheap labor enables
their absorption of our industries. That, in my opinion, is a very bad thing
but it doesn't seem to bother many others.

Tom Reese