<From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:03:11 EDT
Subject: COLD WEATHER USE
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WOULD BE INTERESTING TO SEE  IN FAQ SHORT DISCUSSION OF PERFORMANCE OF
ELECTRONICS IN 6x7 I AND II AND ZX CAMERAS IN
BELOW ZERO CONDITIONS.  MY EXPERIENCE SHOWS THAT HOW LONG
ONE EXPECTS TO WORK IN SUCH TEMPERATURE IS QUITE RELEVANT.
FOUND 35MM FILM FINALLY GOT BRITTLE AND BROKE (60 BELOW).
FOUND THE ROLLEI MORE USEFUL, BUT NEITHER THIS NOR LEICAS
WERE WINTERIZED AND MY EXCURSIONS WERE BRIEF.  CONDENSATION
A NUISANCE WHEN RETURNING TO GREAT INDOORS.  R.W. TOLBERT
@[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Don't know about a discussion, but, I use a 6x7 in minus 20 to -40 Deg F for
periods exceeding 3-4 hours on a regular basis during the winter months and
have had no problems with the camera as long as I follow a few simple rules.
1, once the camera is cold...leave it cold.  Do not place the camera in a
warm area until the shooting is complete (and always place an air tight bag
over the camera before taking it in a warm place to avoid massive
condensation.  2, use the external battery cable system to keep the battery
warm (and have extra batteries as the draw on them seems to be considerable.

As a note.  I do keep my film at the outside temperatures, and try to be
reasonably careful about overstressing cold film. (but you should use cold
film in a cold camera).

I have had little trouble with my pentax 6x7 using these simple rules.  And
as a comment...I do not think anything was done to prep the cameras (I have
owned the camera for over 10 years) for cold weather.

Dave Stratton
Fairbanks, AK