mike wilson wrote:

> In the UK, many school grounds are the subject of byelaws
> that prevent trespassing and provide for quite severe
> sanctions for those who transgress.

The school my three go to had a problem with certain individuals a year or
so ago and Police made a random appearance at school times, alongside a
teacher. The gates are closed during school hours but when they are open, it
provides a cut through to two different roads, which is quite a saving in
distance for nearby resident pedestrians. Sadly, few now take this cut
through as teaching/school staff often approach people they don't recognise
as parents and find out if they have a reason to be on school grounds, and
just cutting through isn't a reason to be on the property. On one hand, as a
parent of primary school age children, I think this is a good idea, but I
really don't like innocent locals saving a five minute walk being treated as
potential trouble.

The photography issue has been raised more than once and I still take
pictures on occasion on school grounds, but I do try to just capture my own
children in those images. Within the school, for plays or such, it was
written in a newsletter a while back that photography wasn't permitted. It
has had no effect whatsoever on cameras and video recorders, and no one has
been approached or the subject raised before the event by a teacher
presenting the performance even once.

> Again in the UK, many of these malls are on public land that
> has been leased/sold to private developers who have produced
> their own rules for behaviour on the premises.  By entering
> the premises you implicitly agree to abide by those rules.
> Not sure if that has been tested in court.

Some transport enthusiasts were stopped a while back from taking pictures of
some routes that had vintage buses working through a shopping centres
grounds not that long ago (Lakeside in Essex) and I really can't see what
they are doing by stopping folk openly taking photographs from a safe
position - I'll give a nod to safety, in that you don't want large moving
vehicles and pedestrians mixing on carriageways - but anyone wanting to take
pictures, will take them from a 'phone etc. I expect for good quality
pictures you could easily modify a bag to take an SLR and use a remote
shutter release. The point is the ones openly taking pictures aren't the
ones that should concern the owners of these sites!

Malcolm