Not entirely true, Mike.

I saw a documentry featuring turdcams, and although the elephants did spot a couple of them, most survived. One of the best wild-life docs I've seen.

John

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:22:05 -0000, mike wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From: Chris Stoddart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2005/11/11 Fri AM 09:39:01 GMT
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: Re: SV: Any reason not to buy a *istD?

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, mike wilson wrote:

>> close to where Brandt presumably was with the camera. The the fall-off and >> vignetting would then mimic how your eyes would have seen the real thing. >> I also suspect this is not an effect you could duplicate easily with a
>> 600mm lens?
>
> The Pentax 600/4 has noticeable falloff, wide open.

No, I meant working in combination with the perspective of the picture.
Presumably if he's close with a 6x7 he's shooting with something in the
'standard lens' sort of focal length? The falloff shown in some of those
pictures is obviously done post-processing, but then when combined with a
standard lens perspective and shown at effectively life-size, you'd in
some ways mimic the feeling of reality? In contrast, a picture taken
standing XXX metres away with a 600mm lens you wouldn't have the same
effect because of compression? You'd just end up with what some here
might already have called a nice picture ruined by softening and falloff
:-)

Got you. I thought you were referring specifically to the falloff. I need to learn to read more carefully.

Of course that could be utter bollox (tm). Personally, standing anything
like that close to a cow elephant with her calf and firing a 6x7... no
thanks!

I think there is a site somewhere detailing a chap's efforts to picture heffalumps close up by disguising his wunderkam as a turd. Of course, they were far too smart to fall for that and did a Mexican hat dance all over his gear. Too sad.

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software