Subject: Re: PESO: Chicago Three Flat

No. I've never been in a hot air balloon. But I've seen them on TV:-). Seriously, it seems like something that would be fairly predictable, since the volume of the balloon is a given, the ambient temperature is known and -- I would guess -- the heater is calibrated to some degree of accuracy.

Generally, the ambient temperature is rising during the flight, though with an evening flight, it can drop, the volume of the balloon varies with barometric pressure and humidity, and the burner takes raw liquid propane and burns it as fast as it can, which will vary based on tank temperature and volume left in the tank. Note the weight of the airgraft varies significantly during the flight. The fuel is a significant part of the weight load.
This variance is fairly predictable.

What's below you will make a difference as well. If you are flying over a treed or grassed area, the aircraft will fly differently than if you are flying over a field of wheat or a pond because of the thermals produced. My instructor and his student had a really rough forced landing when they strayed over a gravel pit and the thermals killed their lift. They overtemped the balloon 50ยบ, and still hit the ground.

The danger of flying low, you do't know whats over the next rise, they managed to get about 200 feet AGL, then the thermals took them down.

To get away from this, you really need to be a thousand or more feet in the air, more if making big ground transitions, which isn't as much fun as flying under 10 feet AGL.

Every time you fly, the weight in the aircraft is different, so the aircraft handles differently every flight. It's not difficult, but it is piloting moment by moment, and one needs a lot of feel for the aircraft.

The bigger aircrafts that ride companies generally use are easier to fly, I was training on a Balloonworks AX-7B over a 3.9 basket. It's a pretty small aircraft by balloon standards.

If you ever get the chance to go on a flight, grab a long lens and a seriously wide angle lens take off.

William Robb