Don Sanderson wrote:

I did manage to aquire a new FA 28-70/4 AL and finally got to
take a few test shots with the ist-D.
It's a KEH "Like New-" and is a beautiful piece.
I must say however that I am VERY disappointed with it's wide
open performance on the digital!
At f/4, from 50-70mm results are very soft and contrast is poor.
At 28-50mm results are unusable before f/5.6-8.
The lens looks perfect, no fog, haze or seperation. Everthing
is tight, mechanics seem sound.

Has anyone else tried this lens on the D series?
How were your results at large apertures?

I use mine on the *istD a lot, and frequently at large apertures because I do so much of my shooting indoors, without flash. I don't have as strong a reaction as yours to the results. I'd actually have to go look through my images again to come up with an evaluation, which I guess means that I haven't really noticed a problem. When I have a chance, though, I will look again with your comments in mind and see what I see.