please forgive my typing today.

one of the big considerations for redwoods - the coastal variety - sequoia
sempiverens - is the community in which they live.  wildlife, other trees,
condition and type of soil all play a role in the health and growth of the
coastal redwoods.  in fact, many of the big trees create and support their
own ecosystem, with lesser trees growing from them.  one California Bay
found in the canopy of an old-growth redwood in Redwood National Park is
the highest recorded epiphytic tree in the world, growing out of a knothole
in the redwood located almost 300 feet above the ground .

redwoods need other redwoods around them in order to stimulate their
vertical growth, which happens in great part as the trees compete for
sunlight.  they also need other redwoods around to help create their own
climate which they do by blocking fog and extracting water from it.  the
trees absorb water through their leaves, and the water extracted from the
fog rains, or more precisely, drips to the forest floor, adding moisture to
the soil.  temperatures along the redwood coast are not as extreme as those
you mentioned.

the number and types of insects in the soil contribute to the unique
environment of a redwood forest.  there are some which cannot be found
outside of a healthy forest - in fact, while not an insect, there's a
particular type of salamander which lives in the forest that is found
nowhere else on earth.  the type, variety, and abundance of these creatures
contributes to the health of the forest.

a walk through a redwood forest is unique as you'll find the ground to be a
little "springy."  that's the layer of duff that you'd be walking on.  the
duff is comprised to a great extent of fallen and decaying redwood leaves
as well as vegetable matter from the other trees and plants in the forest -
many of which wouldn't grow were it not for the canopy of shade and the
moisture produced by the trees. the duff serves as a blanket to help
regulate soil temperature, which is important because the redwood, unlike
other coniferous trees, is shallow-rooted.  the duff also contributes to
holding needed moisture in the soil,  and, as it decays provides nutrients
for the redwood trees and other plants and trees.

the coastal redwood forest is a very complex environment.  one or two trees
growing in Bath will never have such an environment, and will never attain
the stature of these old giants.  and let's not forget the operative word
here - old.  the biggest trees started growing as many as 2000 years ago.
the environment was much different then - studies have shown that the ideal
climate for coastal redwoods has been shrinking - and these giants have had
a stronger head start than the displaced trees in Bath have had.

BTW, I've not mentioned the giant sequoia - sequoiadendron giganteum - that
grows in the sierras. it's a different tree and, iirc, not even related to
the sequoia sempiverens along the coast.

i hope this helps.  there's a lot more to the forest than meets the eye ;-))

Shel
"You meet the nicest people with a Pentax"