Fra: Tim Øsleby [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sendt: 14. november 2005 04:25
Til: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Emne: PESO - Messy Crap, a Snap or a Keeper?

Mark's picture of the reflecting buildings reminded me of a shot I took some
months ago. Both of Marks photos are interesting BTW.

The title I have given it, kind of says it all. I can't decide on this one.
According to normal aesthetic "rules", it is a chaotic crappy image. It has
a lot of crossing lines, the perspective is hard to figure out, there are
some people in frame who doesn't really have anything to do in frame, and so
on. But, I still kind of like it. But what do I like about it? I don't know.
But I am very curious about what wisdom of the list has to say.

Me and Jostein had a interesting discussion on eastern and western
perspectives on pictures. The western ideal seems to be to one or few
subjects in frame, and isolate it/them as good as possible. There are off
course some exceptions from this, mainly patterns and repetitions of the
subject. The eastern ideal is slightly different. I personally haven't seen
a lot of eastern photography, but my impression is that they like more
chaotic (in our ease) compositions. The discussion was mainly on the course
of this phenomenon. A very interesting discussion, hope we can continue it
over a beer or two some day.

So here it is, my "eastern" picture
http://flickr.com/photos/fototim/62993610/
it needs a larger format, so for you with broadband or patience
http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=62993610&size=o (230k)
Data online.

Like Boris often says, honest and brutal if need comments are sought
after...
Hope I'll learn something from this.

Tim
Mostly harmless (just plain Norwegian)

Never underestimate the power of stupidity in large crowds
(Very freely after Arthur C. Clarke, or some other clever guy)