On Nov 14, 2005, at 6:08 PM, Rob Studdert wrote:

Really doesn't matter to me at all. 10D photos auto-orient too, but
they're often wrong. If I set an orientation in review mode on the
DS, they orient correctly in every file viewer application I've seen.

Well for those of us who don't re-orientate each image using the pre-view screen of the camera (I don't even know if the *ist D works this way) or don't wish to have to corral together vertical shots and do a batch rotate (I'm talking thumbnails mainly) it's a right royal PITA. It's one of those no real
excuse omissions to my mind.

I do it as I review my exposures in Bridge. I tend to look at them in Slide Show mode, orienting them is a keypress. I just downloaded 600 files, walked through them and set the orientation on about half of them in a couple of minutes. Just not a big deal to me.

It would be nice if the camera did it automagically, of course.

After recently reviewing 4500 trip shots where orientation was changed often I really don't appreciate that they left it out (especially when the bottom feeder cameras from other manufacturers and many P&S cameras do it). I'm also having some difficulty trying to fathom how a gravity based sensor could lead
to incorrect orientation too, when would it be wrong?

When the angle of the body is ambiguous with respect to gravity... like when angled sharply down or up. I seem to have many exposures like that.

Godfrey