hi Paul .... quite a number of years ago i got two mallard ducklings to
keep around the house for pets and to keep the garden clear of snails and
slugs.  i named them dunker and bugsy, dunker because he really loved
thrashing about in the little pond i built for them, and bugsy because she
ate the bugs n slugs with incredible gusto.  we went hiking together in the
coastal hills of Marin county, i took them camping with me down to big sur,
and we'd sometimes walk about the neighborhood together.  those two were
great pals to each other and to me ...

they'd sleep in the crawl space beneath the house, generally right under my
bed, and in the morning when they felt it was time to get out and patrol
the yard, they'd tap on the floor beneath the bed.  we had quite a bond ...
;-]]

Shel
"You meet the nicest people with a Mallard"