Inches used to be taller in the days of wood tripods?

The end of your tape measure is broken off?

You are so tired you are slumping, and the tripod seems taller than it is?

They made a mistake in the product description?

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Bertha now has a Berlebach 2042 to keep her steady. With the center column extended, the Berlebach is supposed to reach to 64.5 inches (sorry, metric folks, but it's been a long day and I am too tired to convert). Yet when I set it up and extend the column, it comes to at least 71-72 inches.

Can anyone figure out why?

Thanks,

Joe