crap1    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (krp) Vulgar Slang
n.
1. Excrement.
2. An act of defecating.
3. Foolish, deceitful, or boastful language.
4. Cheap or shoddy material.
5. Miscellaneous or disorganized items; clutter.
6. Insolent talk or behavior.

intr.v. crapped, crap·ping, craps
  To defecate.

I actually don't find crap offensive. But when I am in situations where I
want people to think well of me (ie. "polite society") I try to avoid saying
both
crap and sh*t. That is, if I remember.

Because of the #1 meaning, which is still the most prevalent. That's the only
reason I mentioned it, Tim.

It definitely was not the thing to say when I was a sweet young thing growing
up. My parents threatened to wash out my mouth with soap for saying either
one. Of course, that was a hell of a long damn time ago.

Marnie aka Doe ;-)