So what ... we all know that, to one degree or another.  Too
bad Capa didn't use a tripod on D-Day - his photos would have
been much sharper and he'd have earned the recognition he so
rightly deserved.  Come shooting with me some day.  We'll
shoot in the rougher areas of San Francisco.  You bring a
tripod and I'll hand-hold my cameras. Let's see who gets more
sharp photos. Heck, I'll even use slow film and agree to keep
my shutter speeds at or below 1/125 sec.

The point is that a tripod, a monopod, or even Bob's "6' of
cord" method can get in the way sometimes and cause one to
miss a shot.  Of course, if you want to shoot pretty flowers,
buildings, still life photography, and posed or rigid
portraits, then by all means use a tripod.  But if you want to
shoot life as it happens around you, better leave that pile of
tubing in the trunk of your car or back at the hotel.

Let's remember, too, that Mr. Williams has somewhat of a
vested interest in people using tripods.

BTW, I own several tripods and use them where appropriate.
Let

Joe Urmos wrote:

>   Why is a tripod essential?
>
>   Because blur due to lens movement is inevitable at any shutter
>   speed slower than 1/1000 sec., and because it promotes greater
>   care in composition. Handholding is strictly for dead photographers:
>   A human pulse beat will cause 200 microns (about 0.008 inch)
>   displacement for 1/10th second. Assuming a shutter speed of
>   1/250th sec., this movement alone will cause a 22% loss of
>   resolution with a system that is otherwise capable of reproducing
>   100 lines-per-mm (lpm). And at a shutter speed of 1/125th sec.,
>   this performance would degrade to only 53 lpm-a 47% waste of
>   what you purchased. (Refer John B. Williams: Image Clarity,
>   page 191)
>
> If you don't recognize the name, he runs Really Right Stuff.

> -

Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"It matters little how much equipment we use; it
matters much that we be masters of all we do use." - Sam Abell