For Windows: Exifer
  http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

BUT ... If you're using Photoshop CS2, you can insert IPTC data into batches of JPEG and TIFF files with ease. Just open a folder with Bridge, select the Metadata Workspace, select all your image files. Add whatever data you want to the IPTC section. Hit enter. It will insert the data to all files. You can also script this.

Book Recommendation (reprise): "Real World Camera Raw with Photoshop CS2" by Bruce Fraser. Tells you exactly what you need to do and how to automate it into a couple of easy steps.

Godfrey