Because small sensors have limited sensitivity, image stabilization (allowing you to hand-hold the camera more steadily at longer exposure times) net a great improvement in camera usability.

Both the Ricoh GRD and the Panasonic LX1 are basically ISO 64 cameras. At their shortest focal length settings, the two lenses are both f/2.8 maximum aperture. The Panasonic's image stabilization will allow extending the shutter speed range that I can get a sharp image of a static subject by about 2EV with a lower ISO setting, hand held, so it is more usable in low-light circumstances.

Godfrey