The "dope" used to stiffen the fabric on early airplanes was cellulose nitrate and highly flammable. Many a WWI aviator chose to jump to his death sans parachute rather than burn to death in a flaming aircraft.

        -P

graywolf wrote:
LOL! Nitrocellulose, AKA, gun cotten is classified as an explosive.

BTW they use it for paint too. Gives a much nicer look than Acrilics paint does. It is still the preferred finish for guitar and other instrument sound boards as it give a much mellower sound.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"

Scott Loveless wrote:

Thanks for the correction, Bob.  I actually did a bit of googling,
instead of just recalling from memory, and found that the Cellulose
acetate has an ignition temp of 800F and the Estar base 900F.  I'm
assuming the cellulose nitrate ignited at much lower temperatures.