On 11/22/05, Shel Belinkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well, perhaps for you and some others.  However, when I make a shot and
> something upsets or detracts from my intent, I consider the shot ruined.
> That's my standard for my own work.  I didn't get the shot i wanted.  Maybe
> I'm just more critical (at least about my work in general).  If you find
> the mic in front of jenny's face acceptable, or an intended part of the
> pic, then yes, ruined would be too strong a word.  If I tried to make a
> similar shot, and was shooting in the same venue, I might not have even
> snapped the shutter.
>
> We have a very different way of seeing and accepting a photograph.  I'm
> probably too critical most of the time, especially with my own work.
> Example: took a pic of a girl on a bicycle.  After printing it I noticed
> there was a piece of trash in the frame.  I never printed the pic again -
> for years - until I learned how to delete the trash in Photoshop.
>
> So, FWIW, I'm being no more critical of the Pirate Jenny pix as I am of my
> own.

Everything you say is true, Shel.

We do look at photographs differently, moreover, we look at ~our own~
photographs differently.

I think I'm much less critical, and also, I think maybe I look at my
photos in a more wholistic way (if that's the right word).  By that I
mean that I look more at the whole photo, and less at the details.
So, to me, garbage on the street likely wouldn't bother me.  It was
there, it was part of the reality of that shot, so it stays.  No
biggie.  If I liked the rest of the shot, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm far from a perfectionist, so I'm not looking for the "perfect
shot".  From my perspective, with my abilities (or lack thereof),
perfection is unobtainable.  I'm looking for a feeling, and if I get
that feeling, I share the photo.

All of that being said, I wasn't really bothered by your use of the
word "ruined".  I thought it was too strong, but maybe I was wrong.
It ruined it ~for you~, and I accept that.

I know that you criticise my photos (and anyone elses) with an eye to
not just telling what you feel, but with an eye to help the other
photographer if you possibly can.  And, I guess that's where I'm
thinking that use of language such as "ruined" isn't really conducive
to teaching some people.

For myself, I don't care.  I actually like the photo, and to be
honest, nothing you say can change that <g>.  I do appreciate your
input, and I think I know where you were coming from with that
particular word, and I accept that.

I do, however, disagree with your assessment.  But, as I always say,
I'd rather honest comments than knee-jerk "me too" thumbs up.  And,
with you, Shel, I know I get honesty.

cheers,
frank