"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"
-----------------------------------

Rob Studdert wrote:

On 24 Nov 2005 at 15:49, mike wilson wrote:

From: frank theriault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I really don't see how you can say that film is costing me "twice as
much" as going digital.

But Frank, everyone _knows_ that digital is free.  You just need to keep
changing the apparatus to keep up, selling the old stuff to get your money back.
At least, I think that's how it works.

Lets face it, it's not as bad as it's being made out to be either. In our neck-o-the-woods a new *ist DL can be purchased for AU$867.00 and a new Compaq Presario M2045AP notebook can be had for AU$1082. So lets say just under AU$2000 (CAD$1730 or USD$1480) all up for a very capable camera/post processing kit (assuming the use of freeware which is valid) and a 1GB memory card.

AU$2000 doesn't really buy a great deal of good film and processing around here, I don't know what it's like for everyone else but I'm revelling in the fact that I no am longer having to purchase film. Printing at home? Well it's up to the individual if they wish to set up to print themselves. Me, I've elected not to print at home I send it out, it's much cheaper than printing from film and I always get back what I expect, IOW correct colour balance and cropping and no dust or scratches etc.

That said I will say that I have a friend (I've mentioned before) that is just about computer illiterate but who is winning prizes in the local areas inter- camera club competitions using a DSLR and plugging her CF card straight into a little AU$300 Epson inkjet printer, not my cup-o-tea but it shows that it's plausible.

I find it interesting that so few people seem to pine for the film process after they become aware of and appreciate the advantages of a digital work-
flow.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998