Thanks to everybody who responded.
I have some further comments and questions.

> Joseph Tainter

> The poor autofocus performance in low light is not because of the lens.
> It is because of the poor autofocus performance of Pentax DSLRs
> (those produced so far) in low light.

I am comparing its AF performance with other lenses attached to the same
DS body.
What I find about this D-FA is that almost always it makes at least 4
iterations of the motor (i.e. forward-backward-forward-backward)
before it locks the focus.
Even my Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 set at the focal length of 100mm
does not do this in the same light condition. And that is far inferior
lens. (Tokina ATX PRO 28-70/2.6-2.8 is even faster, but the focal
range is different, so it is not a fair comparison).

Herb, since you have this lens, - I was wondering if
your D-FA lens:
1) is also assembled in Vietnam (it is written at the bottom of the barrel)
2) the hood is also loose on the lense
3) does 4 runs when AFocusing in a relatively low light (say, 1/10-1/60
at 2.8 at ISO 100) even on subject with a good contrast?

Thank you,

Igor