On 25 Nov 2005 at 12:17, Tom Reese wrote:

> That's an interesting idea and I think there would be some truth in it if the
> same people always judged the competitions. The judging panel is never the
> same
> in the competitions I've seen or entered. Different judges have different
> opinions.

Competition nights are always judged externally in our clubs too, and yes
images that didn't rate a mention one month may receive a prize the next
however they still all tend to judge using similar criterion which leads to a
similar style being presented for competition.

> There are certainly trends in photography as in all of art. I think the
> leaders
> in the field are driving those trends not the judges in competitions. John
> Shaw
> and Galen Rowell have been enormous influences in nature photography.

Not here.

> I think that's really bizarre. There just aren't that many secrets to be kept
> in
> photography.  I've never met any photographer who wouldn't happily discuss
> technique and location. That's part of the fun IMO. I can see the need to
> keep a
> location secret when it comes to protecting a rare species.

Well I've experienced such behaviour first hand on many occasions in club
environments, it's nothing like the PDML where people go out of their ways to
assist others.

> Some people like to compete and some don't. <shrug>

And some simply see the lack of value in the way that the competitions are
structured and despise what they lead to.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998