I can agree with you regarding the computer.  You can get sufficient power from
an old and cheap computer.  My 3 years old iMac with 800MHz processor and 512MB
RAM handled 60MB scans in PS CS without much problem.

But, you make some strange assumptions regarding the camera requirements.  As I
see Franks pictures they often rely on timing and often shallow DOF.  None of
these are available with P&S cameras.  Just because they are seldom sharp does
not mean that small sensors and low resolution is OK. Unsharpness in one of the
reasons why I still use film, especially medium format.

DagT