On Nov 29, 2005, at 5:29 AM, Rob Studdert wrote:

... Our nearby university, and my alma mater, Virginia Tech just recently
built a supercomputer by interconnecting some humongous number of
high-end desktop machines. They used Macs for this project in spite
of the higher costs, primarily because of much greater reliability in
their experience.  It works great and some other universities are
following their lead.

Again interesting, I hadn't heard of Mac farms usually they tend to use PC servers running some form of UNIX, maybe they are now harnessing the UNIX side
of the Macs now that the OS has grown up?

Do a search on "virginia tech supercomputer". Their teraserver, in 2003, was the third-fastest supercomputer in the world, comprised of 1100 Power Macintosh G5 2Ghz DP boxes coupled together with some extreme high-speed communications equipment. It runs Mac OS X.

Modifications to Mac OS X were extremely small to achieve this: they dropped in a revised memory allocator (standard one is optimized for balanced performance on a client system, a distributed supercomputer requires a different optimization strategy to maintain maximum throughput). Total change was 800 lines of source code (I was on the team that assisted in this project). Later versions are even faster since they moved to the Xserve box instead of the desktop system.

Many other universities and labs have built distributed supercomputers based on this effort's success.

BTW: Discussions that resolve to more inane "mac vs pc vs linux vs who-knows-what" babble are really not worth the time to read.

Godfrey