On Nov 29, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Fred wrote:

If you want a better lens than that, the Pentax 24-90/4 is the one I'd
choose.

I think that 90mm at the long end might be a little short for the my usual "family photos" situation, but thanks for the suggestion. I think that the
FA 28-105/3.2-4.5 might be a better bet.

The 28-105 is a darn good lens for the money. I'd have to say, however, that the 24-90 outperforms it at 70mm+ focal lengths when wide open. Stopped down 1-2 stops, the results are nearly impossible to tell apart.

Be aware that the difference in field of view between 90 and 105mm is quite small. See
  http://homepage.mac.com/godders/2zmFoVcomp.jpg
for comparison. The real advantages of the 24-90 are much more field of view at the wide and and better performance when wide open at the tele end.

Godfrey