Just add 1 additional foot for every 4 meters - you'll make it OK.

        -P

P. J. Alling wrote:
Very dirty, 7 meters is 23+ feet, that 3 1/2 inch difference per. foot adds up very quickly. If you're depending on 30 feet of rope to span 10 meters of distance you're seriously out of luck.
keith_w wrote:

P. J. Alling wrote:

More like 3 Feet 3.6 inches  ~ 1 meter...

More than enough to very annoying over 100 yards, (or meters if you prefer).

danilo wrote:

Wasn't  it:

3 feet ~= 1 meter ??

(school was some times ago)

Danilo

For order of magnitude conversions, it's just fine.
If someone mentions a 7 meter length to you, what do you do?
A quick multiplication by three yields 21 feet ~ just add a little bit.
For most practical uses, that's plenty close enough.
As a inch/feet/mile guy, I can visualize 21+ feet quickly and that's all I need to know.

So what if it *IS* betweeen 21 and 23 feet? For a "quick and dirty" estimate of length, it's just fine.

That's for those who can't think in metric yet.

keith whaley