Cory Papenfuss wrote:

[ ... ]

I've rigged up a "dumpcam" script that slurps down all RAW files, converts to medium-quality JPG using ICC color profile, sharpens, and saves RAWs. It's pretty much set to auto white-balance, auto-exposure compensate... just like the camera would have. Then on the few that you want to put the extra time in, I can do some more tweaking... knowing that I've got the best quality that my current photography skills allow.

Sounds like the way it should be... I must say that when I express a certain scepticism to digital photography now and then, it's partly because of all the talk about the "workflow" on this list and elsewhere, which gives me the impression that although you also read a lot about how "simple" digital is, it has actually introduced extra work that *has to be done*...

Also, I've never thought a lot about "colour balance" with film, but perhaps that's because the lab has done the job for me? I wonder if there are many labs that will accept "raw" files and do something productive with them these days, by the way. Most of the "consumer" ones I've come across seem to know of no other file format than JPEG, if you know what I mean...

The only part of the RAW workflow that is inherently slower is the act of copying larger files, and the RAW conversion itself... takes 10-20 seconds each of unsupervised computer time. Just need to think the workflow through initially to streamline it.

-Cory