Toralf Lund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've come across a used Nikon LS2000. Any opinions on this model? What
> do you reckon a unit (allegedly) in good condition is worth?

I've had one for a few years and I was quite happy with it. Due to the
LED light source, it tends to emphasize film grain much like a condenser
enlarger does in comparison to one with a diffuse light source. This can
become a little problematic with conventional (non-chromogenic) B/W
film.

Do note that Nikon never provided software for using their SCSI film
scanners under OS X. There is a version of Silverfast that works under
OS X but be warned that it doesn't support ICE. No idea what things look
like with any Windows version past W2k.

I've never much used NikonScan or Silverfast. The LS-2000 makes a really
nice pair with Vuescan (www.hamrick.com) especially for batch scanning
using the film strip adaptor supplied with the scanner. Results with B/W
film are largely superior to those obtained with the other two programs.

Even though it is not the latest model, I'd still recommend it.

One more thing: after a few years operation, there usually is some
degree of fogging/dust on the mirrors inside the scanner. Here's how to
clean them:

http://www.vad1.com/photo/dirty-scanner/ls2000-cleaning/

Usually, one doesn't have to go all the way described there and it's
enough to clean the mirror shown on the second-last photo (the one at 45
degrees in front of the lens).

HTH,
Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher  -  DL9KCG  -  Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de