What do you find appalling?  The site covers many aspects of retouching,
adjustments, and manipulation, a lot of it applicable to the work many of
us do on our own photos.  While some of the images may not be your "cup of
tea" you have to remember that Photoshop is used for may types of images,
from simple B&W photos to highly stylized creations.  I found the tutorials
to be of interest, and some of the challenges were, if nothing else, good
learning experiences.

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/

Shel
"You meet the nicest people with a Pentax"