On Dec 6, 2005, at 10:31 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In a message dated 12/6/2005 4:39:44 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
True.  Closing a JPEG does not alter it in any way.  Saving it
recompresses the data, with commensurate loss.

However, if you always save JPEGs at the highest quality (12 in
Photoshop) the loss will be minimal.  You can resave JPEGs saved at
12 several times before the loss becomes evident.

Bob
=======
Where do you get this 12 times figure? When I was working with graphic files, admittedly not photographs, it seemed to me there was a degradation after the
second resave.

Marnie aka Doe

I didn't say a word about saving twelve times. 12 is the number used in Photoshop to designate the highest quality JPEG.

Bob