On 6 Dec 2005 at 9:42, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> Except for those made with the Pentax DSLR, as I understand it,  all my
> files contain 14-bits or 16-bits of information depending on which scanner
> I've been using.

In some instances those 6 or 8 bits can be pared off without loss of image
quality, IOW the potential range may be there in the file structure but it's
not being utilized by the current data set. Shots with a very limited contrast
and those at elevated ISO would fall into this category.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998