However, then as now, the criminally inclined was too busy picking pockets in the crowd to pay any attention to the object lesson.

Let me translate for those who need it. It didn't work then, and it doesn't work today because the criminally inclined do not believer THEY will ever be caught.. But one heck of a lot of innocents have gone over that (metaphorical) cliff during the meantime.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"

John Forbes wrote:

on a Sunday, the authorities thoughtfully ensured that the maximum number of people could watch. Ths they killed two birds with one stone: they provided a popular free show, and also a warning for the criminally inclined. One should always mix education with a little entertainment.

John