Hi,

I couldn't agree more with Jostein about the behaviour of anima rights activists. They do the same in Sweden. Release north american minks into the wild making enormous environmental catastrophy onto bird and fish since they have few natural predators to give them a fight. From where I originate, southern Swedish Lapland, minik is major problem with the local fish and birdlife - of course originally it was the pelt farmers who had a poor fencing allowing some animals to escape. Thus they and the animal rights activists work hand in hand to destroy our local fauna. Ironic isn't it. Anyhow, resorting to violence and doing stupid things like releasing non-wild non-domestic animals into the wild is just a lazy method (quick and dirty is the term) instead for taking the hard working line and work through democratic methods.

Josteins website - You got some really nice pictures there Jostein, making me want to go to Norway on holiday soon.

Cheers,

Ronald

Jostein wrote:

Markus,
I can stay on topic here. :-)

My first photographic assignment (all done with Pentax) some nine years ago was to produce a series of landscapes from the local community where we lived at the time. One day while working the landscape of a neighbouring island, a Toyota Hilux approached at high speed. A farmer jumped out and was outright aggressive to me. Nasty words and threats I will not repeat here. Fortunately I was about 20 cm taller than the guy, otherwise I think he would have attacked me physically.

After a while I got out of him that he suspected me to be an animal rights activist spying out his pelt farm. I tried to reassure him that I was not, but he didn't really want to believe me. However, he got back into his car and let me continue. The experience shook me too much to do anything more that day.

As it turned out, he was very tense at the time because a nearby pelt farmer had been threatened by an activist. This particular activist had walked straight into the farm and began taking photos of the caged animals with flash. Later, the photos turned up at the local photo club, and it was all too obvious that the activist's behaviour was scaring the animals badly. Besides, the photos were not good. Overexposed, slightly blurred and not really showing the photographer's intent. I was a teacher at that time, and to my surprise the activist was one of my students; a woman of age 25.

Over the next couple of days I talked things over with her, and learned her reasoning. She had much love and empathy for the caged animals, of course, but it was all emotions and no knowledge. She categorically denied that her behaviour at the farm had scared the animals. She was confident in that the animals, mostly silver fox, would get a much better life if the cage doors were just opened. I asked her specifically what she believed would happen to the local wildlife, and she replied that she couldn't care less. :-o

The nice end to the story is that the farmer came to see the exhibition a year later, and then came up to me and apologised his behaviour.

If you'd like to see some of the images produced for that project, there's an essay about the place on my website et http://www.oksne.net . It's called "fnnoy". No pelt farms there, only a salmon pen.

Finally, I'd like to say that I'm not particularly in favour of pelt farming. I just find the methods of the activists to be outright stupid.

Jostein

----- Original Message ----- From: "Markus Maurer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>