> You should just cough up the money for the FA35/2.
>
> Doug
> enabler-in-training
>

> At 11:04 PM -05007/22/01, Todd Stanley  wrote, or at least typed:
>> It's a hard lens to find, I haven't seen any for sale for a while.  So that
>> brings us back to the original question:  With the F2.0 Pentaxes cositng
>> too much, and the F2.8 Pentaxes stink, and the sole F3.5 is rare, are there
>> any good, inexpensive, 3rd party 35mm lenses out there?  (or should I just
>> cough up the money for a FA 35mm F2?)

Good, Doug, good.

Todd, think of it this way. An investment in a fine lens is an investment in
EVERY SINGLE PICTURE you take with that lens. It preserves and protects the
investment you make in buying and processing EVERY SINGLE ROLL OF FILM you
shoot through that lens, and every minute and hour of your precious,
irreplaceable life you spend photographing. By enhancing rather than than
impeding your vision, it allows you to explore the focal length more
thoroughly and to better explore your own capacity to photograph.

A fine lens is an almost magical device, the foundation-stone of
photography. WE say that the FA 35/2 is "expensive," but is it? At less than
$300 it costs less than many inferior lenses, and yet it is certainly the
best 35mm Pentax has ever made, for all intents and purposes equal to the
vastly more expensive Leica 35mm Summicron-M ASPH. Into this lens Pentax has
poured all of its expertise and experience in lensbuilding. It is small,
light, fast, consistent, and sharp, sharp, sharp. It seems to me you have
two choices. Spend a bit of money now, an expense which shall surely be soon
forgotten, and find yourself gratified and pleased every time you look upon
each fresh result; or pinch a few meaningless pennies and feel, each time
you look at your work, the nagging anxiety that perhaps your lens might have
served you better.

Besides, there are virtually NO decent third-party lenses in that focal
length.

The choice seems clear. GO FOR IT, Todd! You deserve that lens. Substitutes
are merely substitutes. I doubt you could be disappointed, and I have every
confidence that time and your results will vindicate and justify the correct
decision.

Best,

Mike, LPES*

*Lens Purchase Enabler Supreme