BTW, Don, I forgot to thank you for that e-card. Nice photo.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"
-----------------------------------

Don Williams wrote:

Hi Godfrey,

I sent out 450 Christmas greetings -- with a picture (*ist D) as an attachment to all the names in my address book -- a couple of days ago. Total cost $0 unless the on-line time is taken into consideration when it might be about .01 cent. However there is another cost (that might be higher) -- some people* don't welcome greetings from strangers or vague acquaintances. However, I did add to the message a sentence to the effect that if a recipient wanted to be removed from the list all he or she had to do was say so. Only one has so far requested this. But I have removed 63 bad addresses from the list. So I've cleaned my address book, sent cards to friends and family, many business people (including the Pentax agents in Finland) and some enemies. I shall never know the real cost I suppose.

* I also don't know what my Hindu, Moslem, Jewish or Buddhist (there may be others) friends think about this, but only one has mentioned his faith. If I were to send them all greetings at the appropriate times I'd spend weeks, all year round, sorting them all out. And I don't know the right dates anyway.

"Who the hell is this idiot sending me a Christmas Card?"

Don

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

Look at an HP PhotoSmart 8450 printer. I bought a PhotoSmart 7960 a year ago for about $185. It's produced hundreds of excellent B&W and color prints to date. It's best used with HP's own glossy Premium Plus paper, that way you get the best rendering and an very good archival ink/paper mix, according to the Wilhelm folks anyway. The HP consumables are not cheap, but they are good quality. I've also used it with Epson papers, both glossy and matte, but it's difficult to know how well such prints will hold up.

I just finished printing 100 holiday cards. I used this printer and HP 6x8" Note Card paper/envelope packs. To do the cards: the paper cost me $8 per 30 card pack, the ink consumed one and a half grayscale cartridges, call it $40. So my cards for 2005 cost me $0.66 apiece, with envelopes, fully printed ... ready to sign and mail.

For calendars, well, normally I want to print something larger than 8.5x11 inch. Can't say what it would cost to do a run of them.

"Online photo competition" ... I don't recall seeing anything like that.

Godfrey