Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

On Dec 13, 2005, at 12:10 PM, Adam Maas wrote:

... I find that M42 lenses work better than K/M lenses on the DSLR's. You get true Aperture Priority and a quick Auto/Manual Aperture switch on some of them. ...

Better is a matter of opinion. If the lack of auto-diaphragm operation is not an inconvenience to you, sure. For me, working with a lens that requires I manually stop it down for both exposure metering and shutter release is a bit of a pain.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "true Aperture Priority". Since the lens is always stopped down to working aperture with these lenses, the Av mode works for the normal range of apertures, but is that more "true" than Av mode working with a lens at wide-open aperture?

Godfrey

Aperture priority works at all apertures with M42 lenses, it only works wide-open with K/M lenses. That's what I mean by true aperture priority (Since it really isn't aperture priority if the shutter doesn't vary with aperture).

I tend to shoot in Av with the M42 screw lenses, and make copious use of the M/A switch which both of my M42 lenses have. If shooting manually, I'll use the DoF preview to get a readout rather than using the green button to get a shutter speed set like I would with a K/M lens.

-Adam