Big Bertha (F* 600 F4) still needs a gimbal head. I have been balking at the price of a bottom-mount Wimberly. The side-mount Kirk is about $100 less, but in the end I could not reconcile myself to mounting this heavy lens sideways. With my back problems and occasional awkwardness, this struck me as something I would have trouble with each and every time I used it. On top of that, I was put off by Kirk. I e-mailed some questions, and the reply I got back was to call their 800 number--which of course would mean a sales pitch.

What to do? On eBay, used bottom-mount Wimberleys, scratched but claimed to be otherwise okay, have recently been going for $493-$494. That's idiotic. A new one goes for $565. I have seen one actually go for more than the new price. The Wimberley Sidekick (another side-mount type) has been going for just a few dollars less than new. At those prices, why bother with a used one?

The upshot: A Jobu Black Widow Heavy Duty gimbal head is on its way from Toronto via Canada ExpressPost. Here's hoping it gets hear by Christmas. It is the bottom-mount kind. (They also make a side mount that is less expensive than the Kirk.) It is $56 less than the price of a new Wimberley. That's not enormous, but money is tight after buying Big Bertha. Better yet, at $509 it is only $15-$16 more than the price of scratched-but-serviceable Wimberleys on eBay. What's more, the owner responded to my e-mails very quickly.

A Wimberley P-50 plate is coming from B&H.

Jobu's owner was fascinated by my lens. Said he'd never seen one. Never had a Pentax customer, for that matter. He says that 90% of his sales are to Canon owners, 9% to Nikon, and the rest to other brands.

Bertha will soon be fully accessorized. Next year I'll ask Santa for the Sherpa. And more time for photography.

Joe