Well there are always different ways to do things. Manually I tend to oversharpen. Bicubic sharper has been a god send for me. The smaller your image the more USM it needs, bicubic sharper does it pretty well and I don't have to fiddle with it. Unless there is a pressing reason for doing it otherwise, I will always do it the easy way. Just lazy, I guess.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
http://webpages.charter.net/graywolf
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"
-----------------------------------

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In a message dated 12/18/2005 3:46:53 PM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: If you use "save for web" your don't have to do a separate conversion, it will save your 16 bit .psd as an 8 bit jpeg. I just do a "bicubic sharper" downsize, and "save for web", then delete the downsized .psd image without saving.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
http://webpages.charter.net/graywolf
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"
Yeah, I usually save for web now to create jpegs. I started doing this when I realized it left the PDF file alone and still active in the window.

I generally use bicubic straight, unadorned, vanilla flavor, whatever. Is sharper better? Actually, come to think of it, most times now I resize and then sharpen first. Then I save for web with no resizing/sharpening at the time. (I can undo the changes to the pdf before saving it.) I usually do my own sharpening now, using the high pass filter option that Boris explained to me. I guess I prefer to know how much sharpening is going on. Not sure one has any control over that in the automatic options.

Maybe I going through too many steps.

Marnie aka Doe ;-)