Hi!

My mother died last summer at 87. As a memento, my father's Christmas card this year has a photo taken of her in 1935 at Dominican College, San Rafael, California. The posed photo shows three small groups of women talking in front of a college building, and one walking toward the door. There are nine women in the photo altogether. (Dominican was then a women's college. I don't know if it still is.) Why am I reporting this here? Because the photo was taken by Ansel Adams. In his hungry days he apparently had a business doing photos of students. The shot at Dominican was for a brochure, and was arranged by a friend of his at the college, Sister Thomas.

I became serious about photography over 40 years ago, and all this time neither of my parents told me about this.

I just talked to my father, who is still in California. He says that he has 2 or 3 copies of a newspaper in which the photo appeared and will send me one. Unfortunately all he and my mother clipped was the photo. My father doesn't know which newspaper it was from.

Sad, yet beautiful story, Joe...

Boris